Monday, November 21, 2016

Hola From BOLIVIA!!

November 21, 2016

Dear Mom and Dad and my wonderful family and friends!

Bolivia is amazing! The people here are so amazing, and almost every person here is of Christian Faith and loves Jesus Christ.

It sure was wonderful to hear you voice mom and dad and Mary when I called. Sorry about how blurry the connection was, but hearing you voice warmed my heart and gave me courage to serve with my whole might so other families can be together forever just like our family!

The plane ride to Bolivia was awesome. I sat by a man from Germany going to Bolivia to go hiking, and I set by a minister of an Evangelical Church. It was an awesome experience to talk with this minister and express how even though we were of different churches, we both wanted to help others to come unto Christ. This man was named Larry. I pray that some day Larry will join our Church and receive the fullness of the Gospel!

From Miami, we flew to La Paz where the aircraft refueled, and then went to Santa Cruz. On this plane ride, I sat by another man who was from Wisconsin but grew up in La Paz and was on his way home. He was Methodist. We talked about the culture of Bolivia, and here and there we would talk about our Savior Jesus Christ. He told me that he loved Latter-day Saints and how strong we believed in the importance of family and that we were examples to the world. What a blessing it is to have the gospel and knowledge that families are forever and that we have the opportunity to share this knowledge with others through our words and examples. This experience taught me that people of all other faiths look to the Lord´s church as an example, and how important it is to represent our Savior, Jesus Christ everyday through our actions.

When we arrived in Bolivia, the humidity hit me. Wow, it is a lot warmer and more humid than Cedar. My favorite moment in the airport was when we were able to meet President Rodriguez and Sister Rodriguez. They gave Elder Gooch, Elder Tillet, the other Elder from the Colorado Mission, and I a big hug. When we met President Rodriguez and Sister Rodriguez, I could feel this is the mission the Lord needs me to serve in, and the President and Sister Rodriguez are called of God to lead this mission.  From the airport, we went and were able to go and sleep in the missionary residence halls for new missionaries and from there we had our first Bolivian meal in the President’s house.  Sister Rodriguez is an amazing cook, and the food was so delicious. Here in Bolivia, they eat a lot different dishes of rice, chicken, and potatoes.  Also, there is fruit juice and Fanta soda in every type of fruit. The mango Fanta and grape juice they have here is especially yummy.  That night, we had a testimony meeting, and they asked if anyone knew how to play the piano. I volunteered, and we sang Come Follow Me. President Rodriguez thanked me for playing and said I did well. That made my day.

Thursday was a wonderful day. This day, the assistants to the President and the Presidents secretaries took us to a park and we placed our first pamphlets and pass along cards. The people of Bolivia are so receptive to the gospel and love to take time to learn more about Jesus Christ, our Savior.  One man and his family where over by a bench, and Elder Van Horn told me it was my turn to lead the discussion. I was a tiny bit nervous but trusted that the Lord would help me, and He did. It is so amazing every time we open our mouth to testify of Christ, it is filled with the words that Heavenly Father needs us to say. The man understood our Spanish and was very kind to us and freely gave us his contact information so we could visit him again.

Later that day, we received our trainers. President Rodriguez lined up all the new missionaries on one side and all the trainers on the other and then he read of who our trainers would be. In my heart, I was praying that I would receive the trainer who would be obedient and help me learn Spanish. How my prayers were answered. My new Companion and Trainer is Elder Salas. He is from La Paz, Bolivia and is very obedient, kind, and patient. I know Heavenly Father hears our prayers and knows what is best for us. We are serving in the Fortaleza area in Santa Cruz. For travel in our area, you use the micros (buses), taxis, or toritos (it is kind of like a 3 wheeled slug bug). The members here are very kind to the missionaries, and every visit whether they are an investigator or member they always share some food or some juice or water with you.  We never eat dinner at night because every house feeds us. Wow, sometimes after appointments it is hard to walk.

I know that this church is true and that the gospel of Jesus Christ is going to all the world, and that the Lord´s hand is constantly at work in our lives and that He loves his children.

Thank you for your love, prayers, and support.

I love you mom and dad and our wonderful family!

My new trainer and companion, Elder Salas, from La Paz, Bolivia

No comments:

Post a Comment