Sunday, November 13, 2016

Open Your Mouth!

Dear Mom and Dad and Family and Friends!

I can't believe it;  I am finishing up my final week at the MTC! For one, I got my flight plans, and I leave for Bolivia on Monday, November 14th. We report to the mission travel office at 6:50 a.m. and then we head up to the Salt Lake Airport, where we will catch a flight to Dallas, Texas and arrive around 3:38 p.m.. From there we catch another flight to Miami, Florida at 4:25 p.m. and arrive at Florida at 8:10. There we have a two hour layover until we catch one final flight at 10:06 p.m. all the way to Santa Cruz, Bolivia! Wahoo! I am so excited. We should arrive in Santa Cruz at 8:16 a.m. on the 15th. I am so grateful that this is where the Lord needs me to serve and that He would provide a way for me to get a VISA. My goal on the airplane is to give one Book of Mormon away in English and Spanish to someone who is searching for the Gospel!

Also, a really awesome part is that in one of the airports we get to call home! I wasn't sure what time would be best for you and dad, but I was thinking either calling in the Salt Lake airport in the morning before we leave at 12:00 or calling when we are in Florida around 8:00 or 9:00. If you have a preference just let me know mom and dad. I love you very much and can't wait to talk and hear your voice.

As for the rest of my week, on Sunday, we had a special speaker come and not just speak to us but perform with her family. It was so amazing to hear Jenny Oaks Baker's story of violin success and how before every single one of her major performances she would ask her father, Elder Dallin H. Oaks to give her a blessing. Sister Baker would go back and forth between talking to us over the pulpit and performing some of her amazing compositions, and the amazing thing was one of her daughters accompanied her on the piano, another daughter harmonized on the violin, another daughter played the cello, and her youngest, a boy of 11, played the finger style classical guitar. Wow, it sure reminded me of Uncle Kent's family playing at family reunions and everyone joining in and Christmas Eve at Uncle's Brett's house and all of our family singing, playing instruments, and bearing our testimony of our Savior Jesus Christ! 

On Friday, we had infield orientation where we learned that effective missionary work is accomplished when a ward and the missionaries work together and counsel with the Lord and follow His divine instruction to do His work. One particular quote that really motivated me was this: "Believe that you can Baptize." When we have faith in the Lord and we then have action and do our very best to work hard, listening and following his spirit, we will have success and be able to find the Lord's lost sheep. Also, our spiritual sword in this battle of good and evil is the Spirit. He testifies and teaches Heavenly Father's children. In order for us to wield this spiritual sword, we need to open our mouths and testify of Christ. It is so amazing in the practice lessons that we do at the MTC, when you open your mouth, the Lord fills it with his words and touches the hearts of all in the room with his Spirit. I know Jesus Christ lives and we are all engaged in doing His work and bringing Heavenly Father's beloved, glorious sons and daughters, our fellow brother's and sister's, back to Him!
I love you so much Mom and Dad, and Sarah, Cameron, Mary, Jason, Michael, Delaney and all our wonderful family so much.

Thank you for the candy mom and dad. It sure is yummy, and to thank our teachers Hermana Johnson and Hermano Nash, we all contributed from our candy stashes and gave them a bag full of candy along with a "Muchas Gracias" card. Hermano Nash and Hermana Johnson are such spiritual giants, and I am so grateful Heavenly Father blessed me to be able to have them as my teachers.

Oh and one last thing. Today we are packing for Monday! And I got a couple more books than I thought so I think I might send some things home to you.

Thank you for all the letters throughout the week!  I love you very much!

Love,

Elder Matheson!
Two amazing Elders who are in our Zone.  The one on the left plays the violin!  Both are dear friends and Spiritual Giants. 
Our District with Hermano Nash
Hermano Nash, our teacher, served in Chile on his mission.  He has helped our District learn so much about teaching and planning with the Spirit.
This is our District with Hermana Johnson.  Herman Johnson is an angel teacher and teaches with so much love and spirit that we have grown so much!  She reminds me of Cambry Jensen and has strengthened our district and each of our testimonies by teaching us to rely on Christ.
This is Elder Ziebler (middle) and Elder Stone (right).  These were the amazing Elders who I was able to perform Savior Redeemer of My Soul with while in the MTC.


No comments:

Post a Comment