Monday, December 12, 2016

Love and Service - 1 Month In Bolivia



December 12, 2016

Mom and Dad (Family and Friends)!

This week, Elder Salas and I had many miracles.  For one we had a interview with President Rodriguez.  During this interview I felt so much of the Savior’s love for me.  I expressed how sometimes I felt homesick, and he said this was completely normal and that he was homesick for his son who just left on his mission.  In the interview, President counseled me to make sure everyday I was having language study as sometimes we wouldn’t because of district or zone meetings.  I applied his counsel this week, and my Spanish knowledge has grown so much!  I know that President Rodríguez is called of God to preside over the Santa Cruz Mission, and I am so grateful I get to work with him.

Spanish bk mormonPresident Rodríguez challenged our whole mission to have one person enter the waters of baptism by the end of January.  Elder Salas and I prayed really hard to be able to find the people we need to find who are ready for the gospel and who we can baptize. This week, a young man named Adrian contacted us, and we started lessons with him.  He has attended seminary and institute and has read portions of the Book of Mormon and said he would like to be baptized!  Wow, what a miracle. This week, we teach him on Tuesday.  I know the Lord answers our prayers when we trust in
him and when we work. When you have time, if you would pray for Adrian and that Elder Salas and I can teach him with the Spirit, I sure would appreciate this!

Also, the primary program was wonderful.  It was so amazing to see how the testimony of the children illuminated the hearts and faces of all present in the room.  Heavenly Father sure helped me to play my best.  Through the piano, it has been such a blessing to gain the trust and love of the ward.  Oh and our ward is the Fortaleza Ward, Pirai Stake!  

This week, I tried also to focus and loving the people and to focus my study and my thoughts on them. As I did this, I felt the Spirit so strong and my feelings of homesickness left and I felt the strength of the Lord and a desire to serve. Each of us are Children of God, and as we see each other as Heavenly Father sees us, it is amazing to feel the same love Heavenly Father has for us.  I know this is the Lord’s work and that as we put him first in all things, in our thoughts, actions, words, deeds, that He blesses us with peace and happiness.

Muchas gracias for all your prayers mom and dad and everyone.  I love you so much and am so grateful that through our Savior Jesus Christ we can be a forever family!  

Love your son,

Elder Matheson!

Oh and one cultural experience that I had that was a little bit funny was in Bolivia, the women greet each person with a kiss on the cheek and in return you do the same.  As missionaries though we just give them a firm handshake, but in one lesson, I was trying to stand up to shake the hands of a sister and accidentally she thought that I was going to shake her hand and greet her with a kiss so she shook my hand and kissed me. That surprised me a little!  Elder Salas sure laughed hard after the lesson and let me know that if that happens, accept the greeting and then just explain after why we can’t greet with a kiss. 

PS.  I am sorry I don't write to everyone.  This email time flies so fast.

Also here are some pictures of my first really rainy day in Santa Cruz.






No comments:

Post a Comment