Sunday, February 26, 2017

Carnaval Un Dia de Descansar - Carnival A Day Of Rest

February 25, 2017

Dear Mom and Dad and my amazing family (and friends)!

First Mom your costume is perfect! The picture sure made me smile! Thank you so much for putting our names in the temple and names of our investigators.  I could definitely feel those blessings and see them this week.

Elder Barazoto and I just returned from the Hipermaxi (the big Walmart of Bolivia), and it looked like Black Friday in there except it all was for Carnival.  I have asked around to try and figure out how the Bolivian people celebrate Carnival, and it turns out it is like the biggest water balloon, paint ball, mud fight in the world.  During this a lot of the people don't have work, and the streets are full of people having BBQs and paint and water fights and there's a lot of alcohol.  And for this reason we can't proselyte during Carnival, but in the worlds of President Rodriguez.... We are going to follow the example of the Nephite army and while the Lamanites are drunk, for three days, we will make up secret plans (in our houses) how we will defeat/convert them to the gospel.

During Carnival, we have time to study our scriptures, watch church movies (Elder Barazoto and are I going to watch The Best Two Years, 17 Miracles, and Zarahemla) and spend time resting and getting ready to overcome the Lamanites or convert them to the gospel when Carnival ends.

Here our some pictures of the plaza we visited with our district this last P day.  Dad you are going to love the arquitectura.
Our District at a Plaza de Bolivia
 



Also, we ate some Salteñas!  They are one of the most delicious unique things of Bolivia.  They are like an empanada but they have a soupy delicious, meaty filling inside with a cornbread outside.  Elder Barazoto loved it!  You are not in Bolivia until you have tried a Salteña!

 
The Delicious Salteña!
​I sure liked this violinist and was trying to get his facial expression down.

Dad! Do you remember in Florida, when we rode the bus for about 2 hours to get to our hotel? Here the buses are a little smaller but the rollercoaster, bumpy feeling is the same.  Here is our district in a micro heading to the plaza!
Riding the Micro
This week,  I bought ingredients so I can use your wonderful cookbook and make crepes, pancakes, and biscuits and gravy for Elder Barazoto durrante Carnival.  I am sure excited to have this extra time to study. Also, thank you for the birthday list mom!  I am sorry I missed Cameron´s birthday, but I will make sure I don´t miss the others.

One crazy thing that I have always wanted to do is grow! But I found out that I haven't grown height wise but in weight.  Yesterday I weighed myself and oh man I was a little surprised to find out that I had gained 25 pounds and right now I am about 155 pounds!  Sometimes in the day, it sure is hot and a little bit hard and sometimes I sure like to stop and buy some bread or some juice.  Or sometimes Hermana Rosemary´s food is so delicious I eat two plates.  But I was wondering if you had any tips to lose weight.

Also dad, Jason, and Cameron when the days were really long, what did you do to keep motivated on walking and talking.  In the mornings, I feel so full of the spirit after our studies, but by three or four, I get a little bit tired especially when our lessons fall through, and I was just wondering if you had any advice to keep working hard and also what is the balance of taking food breaks. :)

But this week, one miracle we had is that Familia Carasales got married today.  They both are members, and they didn't have the means to get married and so they started living together.  We taught them about the importance of temples and today they got married and are going to prepare for the temple.  Mom and dad I could feel your prayers and also the blessing of the temple this day!

This week, we were able also to visit Hermana Peña with Hermana Vargas.  Hermana Peña sure works hard and she has three different fairs that she sells clothing at.  We couldn't teach her because Hermano Peña was not home but we were able to break the ice a little bit more and become her friend.  I know that through faith and prayers and work, we are going to baptize this family!

Elder Barazoto is such amazing Elder.  He sure has helped me be more on time and also he can relate with me very well.  This week, during our companionship inventory he told me that I was a good trainer.  It is so rewarding to see him learn how to contact and how teach and in the process, I am so grateful to learn from his great example!

 
I love you so much mom and dad! Thank you for your prayers.  I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that as we have faith in Him, we obtain a firm hope and desire to become more like Him and that through this desire, we show our actions we seek to be obedient and repent and come closer to him and become more like Him.  Also, I know the Book of Mormon is true!  It is so amazing to be able to study this sacred book of scripture every day.  Right now I just read Moroni 7:20-21.  I learned that every good thing points to Christ and that in our decisions we can know if they are good if they are helping us love and follow our Savior Jesus Christ more.
I hope you have the best week mom and dad and also my wonderful family (and friends)!

Love,

Your Son,

Elder Matheson!

No comments:

Post a Comment