Monday, January 9, 2017

Fasting & Priesthood Blessings

January 9, 2017

Dear Mom and Dad and our wonderful family and friends!!

This week, my health is back to normal, and I can eat all the delicious foods here.  The only things we can’t eat is Chancho, unless we have special permission of President Rodriguez, strawberries, and fish.  As for the members and investigators, all of them are very kind and share food with us, and if it is one of these items or unbottled water, we simply tell them that it is bad for our bodies and they understand.  As for the water, we can shower and bath in it and brush our teeth in it; we just can´t use it for drinking.  

This week one funny experience was to have a man think that all Elders were members of the FBI.  This experience made me chuckle.  Elder Salas and I explained we were simply missionaries for the Lord and expressed our Savior’s love for him.  

Also this week we have a baptism scheduled for Adrian.  Elder Salas and I have been working extra hard to teach him and prepare him to meet his baptismal date this Saturday, January 14th.  Adrian is so amazing and wants to serve a mission.  Yesterday, we taught him the Word of Wisdom and he was a little surprised about how we can´t drink coffee, but he agreed to keep this commandment.  If you would keep Adrian in your prayers, mom and dad, that he can overcome any last minute trials Satan might try to throw at him I would be so grateful. I am so grateful for all your prayers and can feel them giving me strength each day.

One miracle this week was with the Peña familia.  Hermano Peña is so similar to Grandpa Matheson.  He works so hard for his family, loves, and prays for his family.  One trial in his life has been when he has assisted/investigated any church he has not had work for his family, and when we taught him the first time he wouldn’t come to church because of this fear.  This week, he really hurt his foot with an electric saw and he can´t work for his family. During an intercambio (companion exchange), Elders Salas visited him with Elder Legren, and he asked for a blessing the next day.  Elder Salas and I fasted for the spirit that we could give this blessing and that the Lord would honor this blessing.  When we went to visit Hermano Peña, he was sleeping and his family didn´t want to wake him.  I was just a little bit discouraged that we couldn´t give him a blessing, but none the less Elder Salas and I fasted even more for his health and his family.  The next day we returned, and Hermano Peña was awake and wanted a blessing.  We explained the importance of faith in the blessing, and then Elder Salas anointed him with oil and I had the opportunity to give him the blessing.  It was such an amazing experience to listen to the Spirit and seek the Lord’s will.  In the blessing, I felt inspired to bless him with protection from infection in his foot and to feel his Savior’s love for him and that our Savior knows the things he is going through right now and will help him.  Also, I blessed him that he could return to health and be able to provide for his family.  When we closed the blessing, Hermano Peña was very grateful, and he asked us if we thought he could attend church.  Both Elder Salas and I said yes.  Yesterday he came to church with his crutches, and we were so grateful to the Lord and for Him answering our prayers and our fast.  

I know our Savior lives and that sharing the gospel is His great and marvelous work and that through our  Savior, Jesus Christ, we can have a family forever.  Thank you all for your love, support, and emails.  Each day I am adjusting more to missionary life, and I am learning so much on how to follow the Spirit, get along with others, be on time, and give myself to the Lord.  

I love you so much and pray for you daily that the Lord will bless you!!

Love you son,

Elder Matheson,

P.S If you would pray for Usto Peña and his family this week!

Thank you and I love you!!!
Christmas Dinner with President Rodriguez.  Chancho or pig - it is sure delicious, but don´t eat it and milk or else you get a stomach ache.

More Chancho!

I was able to get a picture with President Rodriguez and his family.  His daughter just returned from her mission and attended the conference, and the other Elder next me and Elder Salas is one of the Assistants to the President, Elder Eswardo.  He is such and example and is just like cousin Brandon and is an amazing leader!

Here is a picture of Hermana Cluff, Elder Zarate (the Elder standing up) and  Elder Gonsales.  Hermana Cluff directed our zone choir for the conference with the President, the Christmas story in costumes and music just like at Grandma and Grandpa Bourgeous' home.   Elder Zarate was the pianist, and I was the violinist.  The three us worked really hard to help our zone sound good and President Rodriguez thanked us for our time and the music.  I think Grandma and Grandpa Bourgeous would have got a kick out the program.  I got a video of the program and will make sure I save the video to show you mom and dad!!​

​Elder Zarate and I in our shepherd outfits​

Our Zone at the Christmas mission conference

​Christmas lunch with the Luna family!  They sure made me feel just at home and gave me some yummy crackers and rice for my stomach. :)

​Hermana Rosemari, our amazing pensionista, the Stake President's wife, and pharmacist, who sure helped me when I was feeling sick.  This week I have felt so much better. And I can eat food just like normal.  Wow, what a blessing!

​This Elder is from Parowon and knows Jeffery from GHA.  Sometime in the mission I hope I can work with him.

Our apartment interior

Our apartment exterior

​A mini playdough replica that one of the children in the ward made for me during our lunch visit on Sunday with them. The children here sure are sweet!


No comments:

Post a Comment