Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Feliz Año Nuevo

January 2, 2017


My most wonderful beloved mother and father, family, and friends!  It sure is different to see your photo of snow and not mango trees!  I sure hope Uncle Keith and his family had a blast visiting you.

The pictures also of Annie’s wedding at the Newport Beach Temple sure were beautiful for that is the purpose of this life to have a family forever.  How I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for His plan of happiness and that we can be a forever family.  

One thing I learned this week is that Elder Salas loves me as his companion because he is always so willing to help me with my Spanish and the daily struggles of missionary life.


 This week was full of miracles.  


I have a testimony that Heavenly Father hears and answers every prayer!  I found this scripture in my studies this week.  In Alma 37 verse 36 and 37 it says "Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.  Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings and he will direct thee for good.”


Wow, how this scripture is true. This week, I prayed really hard and pleaded with Heavenly Father for His help especially with Spanish, and He answered my prayers.  During one of my language study times, Elder Salas suggested that I focus on a particular book that they gave us in the MTC more and not to worry about memorizing so many phrases but worry about learning the language. This week I felt so much more confident in the language, and I can talk with the people and ask how they are. Also, in some of the lessons the investigators have been impressed with my Spanish. Thank you for all your prayers mom and dad and for the whole family.  I feel them give me strength everyday. And I know Heavenly Father loves us and that he is waiting to bless and help us.  We just need to ask Him.


Another amazing blessing this week was Elder Salas and I taught the Olguine Family.  In previous lessons they were a little interested but and many questions about Joseph Smith, especially the mother of the family. In our last lesson, Hermana Olguine, Fatima, expressed how she did have faith and she liked the parable of the sower in the Bible. Before our next lesson, Elder Salas and I studied this parable along with Alma Chapter 32.  During the lesson, we taught her about how faith is like a seed and that if she and her family would give good ground for the seed of the Book of Mormon and the message of the restauracion that they would see the wonderful fruit of joy of this message.  It was so amazing to see during this lesson how their faith increased and how you could see in their eyes that the spirit was there testifying of the truthfulness of the Gospel, that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God, and that our Savior, Jesus Christ, through him, restored His church again to this earth.  I am so grateful that we have this priceless knowledge.  Victor and Fatima Olguin agreed to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it.  If you would keep the Olguin family in your prayers I would be so grateful. They are such a wonderful family and are married! Elder Salas and I have the goal to baptize them this month!


Also, I overcame my sickness at Christmas.  On Tuesday my stomach had a little relapse, but I made it through the day.  Hermana Rosemary, our pensionista, is also a pharmacist and helped set up a diet of Powerade and crackers and ungreasy foods without milk for the week.  The diet worked, and today I can start to eat things like normal.  This quick trial has sure helped me be more grateful for my health everyday, and also helped me learn that when we have a hard trial,  divine help is only a prayer away.


I love you so much mom and dad and promise to put the Lord first in my life and mission and to serve with honor.  I know Jesus Christ is our Savior and that through Him we can have the strength to overcome any trial of homesickness or health, and we can become clean of sin and return to live with our Heavenly Father forever!  


I love you mom and dad!


Your son,


Elder Matheson!

Next week I promise to send so many pictures. My computer flash drive didn't work today. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment