Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The Field Is White Already To Harvest…

January 16, 2017

Dear Mom, Dad, and my wonderful family and friends!

It is so crazy to think that there is snow right now in Cedar.  In Bolivia, the days are getting hotter, and there is lots of rain.  This week we didn't have too big of rainstorms, but it sure sprinkled/showered for a good 10 minutes and then was calm and the sun was fuerte!  

Dad I sure loved your combination of ingredients of oatmeal.  (My dad ate salsa and oatmeal together!) That made me laugh. Here I have been eating oatmeal a lot with bananas, sugar, and crackers because it is really fast and gives you good energy.  It sure reminds me of the early morning days when mom would make me oatmeal for school.  Yummy!  Elder Salas can´t understand why I would want to eat oatmeal.  He says that it stinks.  One funny moment we had was when we were in our apartment, and he looked over at my food, which consisted of oatmeal and bananas, and I looked at his food, which consisted of potato chips and Fanta!  We sure laughed at this!

Also, thank you for the wonderful letters.  This week, I received the family Christmas card, a card from the Hintons, cards from Kaylin and Daniel, and one from Taylor Drew and her friends!! Thank you all for the words and notes of encouragement.  Dad I will follow your counsel and work extra hard, enjoy the meals and food, and then work extra hard again. Mom, thank you for your words of love and encouragement.  I am so grateful for you mom and dad and for your example and your teachings.  

This week was full of miracles. The greatest of them all was that Adrian was baptized and confirmed as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  During this wonderful week, I sure learned that Satan tries extra hard, especially during baptisms, to stop the work of the Lord, but I love the scripture in Joshua 1:9 "Fear not, for I the Lord God am with thee." 

On Saturday, Elder Salas and I prepared for the bautism (baptism) by setting up the chairs for the service and making sure the font was all ready.  When Adrian showed up to the baptism, we could tell something was wrong.  He asked to talk to us in private and then explained that during the day, his Godfather talked to him.  His Godfather is of another Christian faith but said some untrue things about the church that sure shook Adrian´s testimony.  One of those things was that if you get baptized you won´t be a part of my family.  When I heard this, my heart was so sad, but just like Joshua, I tired not to fear and to trust in the Lord because through the Lord and prayer we can always conquer Satan.  Elder Salas talked to Adrian and asked him how he felt when he read the Book of Mormon and when he prayed about the Book of Mormon and if this church was true and if Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.  Adrian said he felt peace and tranquility. During this moment, I received an impression that we needed to say a prayer.  I then invited Adrian to have a prayer with us.  When went to a room in the chapel where we then knelt down, and Elder Salas offered a prayer, asking Heavenly Father to strengthen Adrian and help him feel the Spirit.  After the prayer, Adrian firmly said, “I want to be baptized now.”  I know Heavenly Father lives and that He hears every prayer and answer every prayer and that through his spirit hearts can be changed and fears can be erased.  The baptism went smoothly and I was able to play Nearer My God To Thee on a member’s violin right before the baptism and express through music that Heavenly Father is only one prayer away and he is always watching over us.  After the musical number, Hermano Beito, Adrian´s friend in the ward and president of the single adults program baptized him, and Elder Salas and I were the 2 witnesses. When Adrian came up out of the water, I was so grateful for him and his desire to follow Jesus Christ, and I felt such a strong love for my Heavenly Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ, and for their great work of bringing each child of God back to Heavenly Father and into our grand eternal family!

I know God lives and that through baptism, our first covenant with God. and constantly renewing this covenant through the sacrament, we can return to and live with our Heavenly Father!!  

I love you so much mom and dad and all our family and friends.  Thank you for your prayers for Adrian!

Love your son,  

Elder Matheson

Elder Matheson, Adrian, Hermano Beito, Elder Salas at Adrian's Baptism

Fortaleza Ward Members
Elder Matheson and Adrian


No comments:

Post a Comment